This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission (at zero cost to you). Please see my full disclosure policy for details.
Jump to Recipe
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Tortilla Soup. I love a quick and easy family meal. Especially for the middle of the week. If it gets some veggies into my growing babies, even better. When Nate is kept late at work, and the girls had chess, and the laundry still needs to be done, and, “Mommy, I’m hungry.”
“How are you hungry, we just got home didn’t we, isn’t it…well, wow it is late. How about that?”
Savory and heart warming vegetable soup to the rescue!
It’s also in an Instant Pot, which is awesome. I love my Instant Pot! They are so easy to use and make wonderful meals that require so little hands on time. I truly wish they had these things back when my twins were little; this would have saved me from so much stress with late dinners and baby food making sessions. I believe in the next few years, an Instant Pot will be as familiar as a microwave, oven, and stove in every kitchen. I could go on and on about how much I love my Instant Pot, but that’s not why we’re here. It’s all about the soup.
And I love soup. I’ve said that before right? So, naturally this sweet potato tortilla soup recipe became a quick favorite. Also, it is lower GI (thanks to the awesome and seemingly magical sweet potato) AND it’s vegetarian, so it’s suuuuper healthy and yummy! To round the whole thing out, we add some extra protein by pairing with a rotisserie chicken and, boom, your Wednesday night dinner just became a cinch.
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 lb. peeled and diced sweet potatoes
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. salt
- handful of cilantro – roughly chopped stems and all
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14oz) of black beans, rinsed
- 3 cups water
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 ripe avocado, diced when serving, optional
- 1.5 cups of crushed tortilla chips for serving
- sour cream for serving, optional
- shredded cheese for serving, optional
Start by placing all ingredients down to the bouillon cube into your Instant Pot. Next seal the lid and set the Instant Pot to High Pressure on Manual for 3 minutes with a 5 minute Natural Release. After the timer is up; remove lid carefully as it will still be hot and squeeze the juice of 1 lime into the pot. Stir in the juice and ladle into bowls.
Finally when ready to serve your Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup; top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado, sour cream and cheese.
Instant Pot Sweet Potato Tortilla Soup
- Instant Pot or similar Pressure Cooker
- 1 Yellow Onion Diced
- 1 Lb. Sweet Potatoes Peeled and Diced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 handful Cilantro roughly chopped
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander Seeds
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 cans Diced Tomatoes
- 1 14oz can Black Beans drained
- 3 cups Water
- 1 cube Chicken Bouillon
- Juice from Limes for serving
- 1½ cups Crushed Tortilla Chips for serving
- Avacados diced optional for serving
- Sour Cream optional for serving
- Shredded Cheese optional for serving
- Start by placing all ingredients down to the bouillon cube into your Instant Pot. Next seal the lid and set the Instant Pot to High Pressure on Manual for 3 minutes with a 5 minute Natural Release. After the timer is up; remove lid carefully as it will still be hot and squeeze the juice of 1 lime into the pot. Stir in the juice and ladle into bowls.
- Finally when ready to serve your Instant Pot Sweet Potato Soup; top with crushed tortilla chips, avocado, sour cream and cheese.